Monday, March 18, 2013

Stack-On GCB-8RTA Security Plus 8-Gun Ready to Assemble Storage Cabinet

Stack-On GCB-8RTA Security Plus 8-Gun Ready to Assemble Storage Cabinet
If this thing was more than a hundred bucks or so, I would say it is probably not worth it. Basically it is just a sheet metal gym locker with a small shelf and cheap styrofoam barrel rests. At this price, though, it is a good deal. Incidentally, for some odd reason they doubled the price last week and I ended up ordering it from the Walmart website because of that. Now I see that they lowered the price back to normal again. Don't pay more than a hundred bucks for this thing because you can find a better deal.

A few things about the features:

SHELF - it is only about four inches deep, so if you were also planning on storing any handguns in this cabinet you won't be putting them on this shelf. There is a simple fix to that, though. I am just going to put in a plywood shelf so I can also keep an ammo can and a handgun in there. On that stock shelf, I imagine you could only really store ammo boxes and clips or maybe a small cleaning kit.

DOOR/LOCK - this is one of the strengths of this unit. You can install it to open either direction, it locks in three points, and the lock and mechanism seems to be very sturdy. I had actually expected the lock to be much more flimsy for something this price. I was pleasantly surprised. Keep in mind, though, that this is just a locker and not a safe. If someone has the time and determination to do so, they will be able to break in to this with a simple crowbar. I just got it to keep my daughter away from the guns, and it will serve that purpose well.

HARDWARE/FINISH - I guess I was very lucky in this regard. I noticed that other reviewers received their cabinets with dents and scratches, but mine arrived flawless. It is a nice looking cabinet, and even though it is just made of sheet metal it seems to have good structural integrity once it is all assembled. Another nice feature is that the included shoulder bolts which show on the outside are also black so they match the finish of the locker. The bolts and locknuts are of solid quality, and they all tightened down nicely without stripping. They include lag bolts and washers to mount this thing to a floor and/or wall if you so desire. I didn't mount it to a wall, but that might be a nice feature some day. The only thing that really disappointed me about this unit was the styrofoam barrel rests. They are just cheap foam with double-sided tape on the back and I can't see them lasting for more than a couple of years before that tape dries out and they fall off, or before the foam dries out and falls apart. At that point I guess I will figure out some way to replace them, but they are just disappointing compared to the good quality of the rest of the cabinet.

ASSEMBLY - I didn't time how long it took me to put it together, but it was probably somewhere around 30 to 45 minutes. The directions are very clear, and I even followed the step which said to remove the key from the lock before attaching the locking bars. I didn't have the problem that others mentioned of the lock falling apart, so I suspect that they improved the lock design. One piece of advice I would offer is to use a socket set instead of the wrenches that the directions suggest. If you tried to use a regular wrench to tighten all the locknuts on this thing, it would take hours.

Overall I give this cabinet four stars instead of the five because of the cheap foam barrel rests. It is a sturdy and good looking cabinet otherwise, and it will do the job that I got it for: keeping my daughter away from the guns.

Product Description

GCB-8RTA-DS Color: Black Features: -Holds 8 rifles up to 52''.-3 Point locking system with double bitted, key coded lock.-Steel top shelf.-Foam padded bottom and barrel rests reduce scratches.-Tamper-proof fasteners.-Contoured, non-marring barrel rests.-Full length welded and staked piano hinge.-Flush mount bottom for easy floor fastening.-California DOJ-approved. Includes: -Mounting hardware included. Dimensions: -Overall dimensions: 53'' H x 17'' W x 11'' D.

Stack-On GCB-8RTA Security Plus 8-Gun Ready to Assemble Storage Cabinet


Features

  • Holds 8 rifles or shotguns up to 52? tall
  • Steel top shelf provides additional storage or is removable
  • Foam padded bottom and barrel rests reduce scratches
  • Unit is easy to assemble with integrated, form fitting parts that are fastened together, fasteners are tamper proof from the outside of the cabinet
  • Pre-drilled mounting holes in the bottom and back of the cabinet allow for easy attachment to the floor or wall

No comments:

Post a Comment